Thursday 21 February 2013

Mini Fictions


  • The humpback
     
The humpback is angry, looking at the stall crowded with people. “I only have one pair of shoes” he thought, “I’ve been walking for almost two hours to have my shoes repaired by the shoemaker who requires the lowest cost in the city. How can he do this”!

The shoemaker stands behind the stall, smiling and counting money with virtually no attention paid to the humpback. His stall is near John Law’s exchange. Everyday hundreds of folks scrambled to buy Law’s shares. Over 300 thousand people have applied for the 50 thousand new shares. It is said that the yearly rental of houses near the exchange has increased tenfold. The shoemaker seizes the opportunity to make fortune, earning 200 livers per day by selling pen and paper to those who rush to buy the shares.

“They are all crazy”, the humpback muttered. Suddenly, he feels that someone is looking at him. “Hey, I will give you generous salary if you are willing to lend me your back! I need a desk! Your back is just right!” a gorgeously apparelled man shouted to him. “What?” the humpback cannot believe on his ears, frowning his brows. “Come here! I want to write on your back. I will give you huge salary!”

Well, it seems that I can also cash in today. Writing on my back? WHO CARES? From birth to now, this is the first time that I can take advantage of my hunchback. Perhaps I don’t need to have my shoes repaired. At the end of the day, I will have enough money to buy a pair of shoes, or lots of shoes if I want.
figure1:Investors outside the Offices of the Mississippi Company in
Quincampoix Street(source:http://www.mapforum.com/05/law.htm)
 

  • The servant

“It’s like a dream.” The servant said to himself, breathing the fresh air and admiring the wonderful sunrise. Yesterday he was still a poor servant. But now he is rich although the money he owned is not legal. “It was master who told me to sell the share at 8000 livers.” He comforts himself. “I did no harm to his interest.”

The master was a shareholder in John Law’s company. One day, he unfortunately fell ill. Reluctantly, he had to tell the servant to sell his shares. When the servant arrived at the exchange, he found the price increased by 2000 livers (increasing 25% compared with the opening price). He struggled inwardly, “Master gave the shares to me because he trusted me. I must take back money.” Unknowingly he arrived and was summoned before his master. “Have you sold the shares?” the old man asked. “Yes, master. 250 shares and 8000 livers per share!” “Well done. You can leave now.” Instinctively the servant concealed the price increase.

“Master will know the truth sooner or later. What should I do!” he tossed and turned in bed and finally decided to flee. With his hopes and dreams for the future, he ran almost all the way. What would the next town look like? What business should I do?  I am not a servant anymore! I want to make more money. Perhaps one day I can return to Paris with the money earned by myself and repay the old man.

No matter how ambitious he could be, he might just be unable to carry out his grand plan. When he settles down in a new country, his paper money is devalued…He was a rich only on the run.

  • Regent

“How beautiful the jewel is!” Regent appreciated, touching the glimmering diamond on the crown. “It is worthy of one of the most famous diamonds in the world!”

In fact, he once doubted whether spending 32 million livers on this unique jewel was right. However, the stock price was keeping increasing, which made him believe that the economic conditions could only grow better and better and buying such a luxury jewel is innocuous.

“Law is a genius!” Regent said cheerfully. After Law carried out his System, fewer and fewer people bothered him. “Paper money is really useful! It is magic, fuelling the economy. ” Suddenly came a knock on the door. “Your Majesty, the Duchesses are not at home. It is said that all Duchesses are in Law’s house.” A servant said respectively, “Perhaps no duchess can go to visit the princess.” “Well, it seems that I have to visit my daughter by myself” Regent said with a sign. “Law also bring me a problem. Everyone queue up to buy his shares. Perhaps I have to do everything myself soon after.”


No comments:

Post a Comment